GB100WWI ~ South Foreland Lighthouse

GB100WWI SPECIAL EVENT STATION

WWI- CESSATION OF HOSTILITIES 100TH ANNIVERSARY

STATION OPERATED BY: The Radio Officers Association

Remembering all those who lost their lives at sea including hundreds of Wireless Operators.

QTH:          

SOUTH FORELAND LIGHTHOUSE  ~ JO 01 QD

The National Trust owns and manages the Victorian South Foreland Lighthouse in St. Margaret’s Bay, near Dover Kent. This location was used by Guglielmo Marconi during his work on radio waves and two world firsts are recorded at the lighthouse. The first ship to shore transmission from the East Goodwin Lightship to the lighthouse was made on 24th December 1898. In March 1899, the first international transmission was made between the lighthouse and Wimereux in France.

 Lest We Forget 11/11/1918 – 11/11/2018
At 5.40 a.m. on November 11th 1918, W. H. Chick, a special duty wireless operator at Marconi House in the Strand, accepted the long-awaited message sent out from the Eiffel Tower station by Marshal Foch. The message ran: (Translation)

“Marshal Foch to Commander in Chief: Hostilities will cease on the whole front on November 11th at 11 a.m. The Allied troops will not until further orders pass beyond the line reached at this date and time. Signed Marshal Foch”

Marconi himself also received this signal in his apartment in Rome.

From “The Marconi book of Wireless” by G.J. Farnsworth published in 1936 – before the Wireless Operator became a Radio Officer.

CW operations will commence at 10:45 on Sunday 11th November and cease at 08:00 on the 12th November 2018. Primary operations will be conducted on  3.5 / 7.0 / 14.0 Mhz

QSL BY EQSL.CC AND LoTW ONLY – NO PAPER QSLS PLEASE

GB100WWI QSL Card